Senior citizens can enjoy several benefits and privileges coming from the government.
Under Republic Act No. 9994 and Republic Act No. 10645, they can avail some privileges and benefits intended for them.
To give importance for our elderly, they can use the privileges and benefits in any form they would like. Below are the list where they can enjoy such privileges:
a. 20% discount on:
- Medical-related privileges
- Medicine and drug purchases
- Medical supplies, accessories and equipment
- Medical and dental services
- Professional fees of attending physician
- Professional fees of licensed health workers providing home health care services
- Air and Sea
- Land: LRT, MRT, PNR, buses, jeepneys, taxi and shuttle services
c. Hotels, restaurants, recreational facilities, places of leisure
- Hotels, restaurants, theaters, cinemas, concert halls, circuses, leisure and amusement
d. Recreation centers
- Fees, charges and rental for sports facilities and equipment
e. Funeral services
- Funeral and burial expenses include casket or urn, embalming, cremation cost, and other services.
f. Utility discount
- Grant of a minimum of 5% discount relative to the monthly use of water and electricity, provided that the meter is registered under the name of the senior citizen residing therein and does not exceed 100 kWh and 30 m³.
a. Tax exemption
- Exemption from payment of individual income tax of those who are considered to be minimum wage earners
b. Training fee exemption
- Training fees for socio-economic programs conducted by private and government agencies subject to the guidelines issued by DTI, DOLE, DA, TESDA and DOST-TRC.
a. Free medical and dental services
b. Free vaccinations
4. GOVERNMENT ASSISTANCE
a. Social Pension
- Indigent senior citizens shall be entitled to a monthly stipend amounting to P500 to augment daily subsistence and other medical needs.
b. Mandatory PhilHealth coverage
- All senior citizens are covered by the national health insurance program of PhilHealth.
c. Social safety nets
- The social safety assistance shall include, but not be limited to, food, medicines, and financial assistance for house repair to cushion effects of economic, disaster and calamity shocks.
d. Death benefit assistance
- Assistance of a minimum of P2,000 shall be given to the nearest surviving relative who took care of the deceased senior citizen.
a. Express lanes
- Express lanes shall be provided in all private, banking, commercial and government establishments; priority shall be given in their absence.
b. Educational privileges
- Assistance shall be granted to senior citizens to pursue education through provision of scholarships, grants, financial aids, subsidies and other incentives.
c. Benefits and privileges for retirees
- Continuance of the same benefits and privileges by GSIS, SSS and PAG-IBIG as enjoyed by those in active service.
d. Privileges on special discounts in special programs
In order to avail those benefits and privileges, the elderly should have first a Senior Citizens’ Identification Card is issued by the Office of Senior Citizens Affairs (OSCA) in the city or municipality where they resides.
- Must be a Filipino citizen who is a resident of the Philippines
- Must be 60 years old or above
- May apply to senior citizens with dual citizenship provided that they prove their Filipino citizenship and have at least six months residency in the Philippines
- Birth Certificate
- 1X1 colored photo (latest)
- Valid ID
After completing those requirements, go to OSCA in your municipality and submit those documentary requirements.
The staff will help to accommodate the senior citizen to their concerns. But might as well as bring an accompany together with the elderly for processing the Senior citizen I.D.